An Ear infection occurs when your Eustachian tubes become blocked or swollen and fluid builds up in the middle ear. The ear infections may be very painful because of fluid builds up in your middle ear. The blockage of Eustachian tube due to following reasons:
- Excess mucus
- Tobacco smoking
- Sinus infections
Types of Ear Infections
There are three common types of ear infections:
- Otitis media
- Otitis externa (Swimmer’s ear or outer ear infection)
- Otitis interna (Labyrinthitis or inner ear infection)
The Ear infections can be acute or chronic. Acute infections are very painful.Chronic infections recur many times, or they do not clear up. Chronic infections may cause permanent damage to the inner and middle ear.
What are the Causes and Risk Factors for Ear Infections?
Some contributing factors and causes that lead to infections in the ear are food allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, upper respiratory infections, wax buildup, internal injuries, and genetics. Generally, Ear infections occur in adults as they have narrow and short Eustachian tubes. Other risk factors for an ear infection are:
- Pacifier use
- Attitude changes
- Recent illness
- Climate changes
- Exposure to cigarette smoke
Symptoms and Signs of Ear Infections
- Hearing loss
- Discomfort or mild pain in the ear
- Pus-like ear drainage
- Pressure in the ear that persists
- Fussiness in young children
- Difficulty sleeping
- Fluid draining from the ear
- Pain in the ear
- Tugging at the ear
- High fever
- Poor response to sounds
Home Remedies for Ear Infection
Garlic has pain relieving qualities and antimicrobial properties, making it more productive in the treatment of ear infections. Here are few methods to utilize the garlic at home.
- You can make garlic oil by cooking 2 cloves of the garlic in 2 tablespoons of mustard oil or sesame oil until it turns dark. You may use 2 or 4 drops of garlic oil in the affected ear as ear drops.
- Moreover, you may also boil 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic in fresh water for about 5 minutes, then crush them and mix salt. You need to put the solution in a clean cloth and place it on the infected ear. Consuming 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves daily also helps speed up the treatment process.
Onion is one of the best home remedies to get rid of ear infections. You can heat 1/2 onion until it is warm, and wrap it on a cotton pad. You can put this warm onion in the infected ear. The chemicals presents in the onions can boost the circulation to the ear and fight against the bacteria and toxins.
3. Plums and Strawberries
Both Plums and Strawberries fruits are one of the best natural remedies for ear infections. In clinical studies, a kind of sugar presents in these two fruits has been found to get rid of the ear infections in children by 40 – 45 percent.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
To reduce the fungus that can be causing the ear infection, apple cider vinegar is a perfect choice. Here is a method to use an apple cider vinegar as a home remedy.
- Add one part apple cider vinegar in an alcohol or water. Soak a fresh cotton pad in this mixture.
- Place the cotton pad in your infected ear like a plug and leave the cotton pad for 5 minutes.
- Take out the cotton pad and lay down on the opposite side to groove the liquid from the ear.
You can also use white vinegar. If the cause of infection is in Eustachian tubes, you can try gargling with an apple cider vinegar.
5. Vitamin C
You should consume 1000 mg of vitamin C for getting relief from the ear infection as it is a powerful antioxidant aids.
6. Olive Oil
One of the main causes of this infection is wax in the ear catching some bacterial or fungal growth, which leads to blockage in the individual’s Eustachian tubes. You may simply get rid of this problem with the use of olive oil. If you don’t have olive oil, you may use mustard oil.
How to use?
- You need to warm some olive oil. Put 2- 3 warm olive oil drops into the infected ear.
7. Epsom Salt
Since bacteria and blood stagnate in an infected area, one herbal treatment for ear infections is to warm a basin of water and add a mug of Epsom salt into it.
Saint-Johns-wort is one of the best natural remedies for ear infections. Warm Saint-Johns-wort oil and put into the affected ear. Use a fresh cotton pad to keep this oil from running out. You need to do this once a day for five days.
9. Holy Basil
You may use holy basil to cure ear infections. It can relieve ear pain and also reduce ear infection.
How to use?
- Crush 4 to 5 leaves of the holy basil gently to extract the basil juice. You can apply the basil juice on the ear. Keep in mind the basil juice should not go into the ear canal.
- Alternatively, you can mix 4- 5 drops of basil oil and coconut oil. Soak a fresh cotton pad in the mixture and gently wipe behind the ear, around the outer edge and inside the ear. Repeat the process daily.