Razor burn can be regular menace for men as they shave on regular basis. It can be described as the skin burn, irritation or itchy feeling on an area after shaving. It can result into swollen and red rash on skin.
As regular shaving is required the razor burns are bound to occur. The reasons for razor burn can be due to,
- Use of shaving cream or soap which doesn’t suit you
- Use of dirty towel
- Use of blunt blade in razor
- Use razor without properly moisturizing the skin
- Pressing too hard on the skin with the razor
You will get burning sensation when you apply water to the affected area. Body’s immune system activates to these burns and result into swelling and redness of these area.
Razor burn is not a problem with men, it can also happen to those women who shaves their legs and armpits. Razor burns can annoying and discomfort. There are some homemade ways which can help you get rid of the razor burns.
Here are some home remedies for razor burns
For any burn cold treatment is effective, same is the case with razor burn. A cold compression on an affected area will help get relief from the stinging sensation and removes swelling. It also works on the red areas and prevents bumps formation.
1. Take some ice cubes; wrap them in a piece of cloth. Place this cloth on the affected area. It will give you relief from burning sensation.
2. Take a fresh towel. Now soak it in the cold water. Extract the extra water. Apply this towel on the affected area. Repeat this process as you need.
Note- Splashing cold water on the skin after shaving helps reduce the risk of razor burns.
Aloe Vera is a traditional remedy for all skin related problems. It can also be used for razor burns.It keeps the skin moisturized and also help the skin to heal fast.
1. Take a fresh aloe Vera leaf and extract gel from it. Apply this gel on the affected area. Leave it to dry on its own, once done wash it with cold water. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
2. You can use also use aloe Vera cream. But choose which has natural component not artificial ones.
Cucumber is rich in water and helps moisturize the skin. It contains vitamins C and K, which helps in getting relief from skin irritation and swelling.
1. Slice a fresh cucumber. Put the slices in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Apply these slices to the affected area. Repeat this process at regular interval.
2. Make a blend of cucumber and yogurt. Apply it to the affected area. Leave it for half an hour. Wash it with the help of warm water.
The vinegar’s acidic property helps in prevention from infection. It also helps in reducing the swelling and the itching in the affected area. You can use Apple cider vinegar, or any other vinegar available in the kitchen.
1. Take a piece of cotton, soak it in apple cider vinegar. Apply this on the affected skin. Let it dry for some times. Then wash it away with cold water. It will help to get relief from itching and stinging sensation.
2. Take some vinegar in a bowl; add some amount of honey in it. Properly mix it, and then apply on the affected skin. Wash it after 20-30 min. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
Aspirin can also be used for the treatment of razor burns. It helps in reduce inflammation and redness across the affected area.
1. Take two aspirins in a dish; add few drops of water in it. Mix it and make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash it with warm water. Repeat this process twice a day.
Honey has many benefits and one benefit is its use in razor burns. It prevents the spread of infection and also help treat swelling and itching of the skin.
1. Directly apply small amount of honey on the affected area. Let it dry for some time, later wash it with water. Repeat this process until you get relief.
2. Mix a small amount of yogurt with honey. Mix it properly. Apply honey mixture on the affected area of your body. Repeat this process 2-3 times a daily.
Black tea bags can be applied on the razor burns. It contains tannic acid which has protective effects on the skin.
1. Soak a tea bag in warm water. Then put it in freezer for 10-15 minutes. Rub it on the affected area. Repeat this process as you require in a day.
Coconut oil is very good for your skin. It can also help get relief from razor burns. It contains Lauric acid which helps treat viral infection and helps reduce burning and itching feeling.
1. Apply some coconut oil on the affected area. As simple as it seems. Repeat this process for few times a day. It will be very useful for you.
You can also apply baby powder on the affected skin area. It is specially made for babies’ soft skin. It is antiseptic and antibacterial which is very good for the razor burn.
These home remedies are useful in treating razor burns. Some remedies are to be used differently in case of men or women. If you don’t get any relief from the above mentioned remedies, you should better consult a doctor.
Photo credit: Flickr