A runny nose is a very common problem, it can be very annoying and provides you discomfort. It can be caused by various irritants which irritate or inflame the nasal tissues. Common cold and other allergic infection can also cause a runny nose.
The increased mucus production is the result of the body’s defense mechanism, which flush out the viral irritants and allergens out of the body along with the mucus. If it is not treated early, it can lead to other problems like headache, cough, congestion, fever and other problems.
There are numerous medicine available for the runny nose, but sometimes these can cause unpleasant side effects which can make your problem even worse. You can try some simple home remedies which will provide relief and without any side effect. These home remedies use simple ingredients, which can be found easily in your kitchen.
home remedies for runny nose
Steam is one of the easiest and effective home remedy for a running nose. It helps flush out extra mucus, which gives you relief from irritation.
- Take a bowl, hot water and a towel.
- Now fill half of the bowl with hot water.
- Tilt your face downward toward the bowl, and cover your head with the towel, so that steam can’t escape it.
- Now deeply inhale the steam for around 10-15minutes.
- Blow your nose to clear out the mucus.
- Repeat this process for 3-4 times.
- Salt Water:
Salt water is one of the best home remedy. Salt helps make the mucus thin and makes it easy to clear out from the body. Thus result into relief from irritation and comfortable breathing.
- Boil some water and place it to cool down.
- Add ½ tea spoon of table salt to 2 cups of warm water.
- Sit in a relaxing place and lean back, now put few drops of this solution in both of nostrils.
- Slowly inhale so that salt water can go further into the nasal passage.
- Do this process few times until you feel relieved.
- Repeat this process for 4-5 times for better result.
- Mustard Oil:
Mustard oil is commonly available in our kitchens. Its antibiotic and antiviral properties help proving reliefs from various problems of runny nose.
- Heat a small amount of mustard oil until it gets slightly warmed.
- Now with the help of a dropper, put some drops in each nostril.
- If a dropper is not available, take some cotton and soak it in the oil and use it to pour drops in your nostrils.
- Also, you can add mustard oil to boiling water and then inhale that steam. This will help clear your nasal passage and irritation.
- Repeat these process 2 times daily.
The turmeric is well known for its medical benefits. Turmeric can be used to treat runny nose and cold. Its antioxidants and antibiotic properties help get relief from irritation and runny rose.
- Add a ½ teaspoon of turmeric power in linseed oil. Heat this mixture, until it start smoking. Then Inhale this smoke, it will help clear the nasal passage. Repeat this process twice daily.
- Another way is to take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and add it to water, drink this water it will help mucus to loosen up.
- Also, you can add a full teaspoon of turmeric powder in glass of boiled milk and drink it before going to sleep.
Ginger helps in boost up the immunity of the body. It is well known used for the treatment of cold and flu. Use of ginger can help get relief from running nose and irritation.
- Chew raw pieces of ginger, if possible add some honey to them.
- Make ginger tea for yourself, it is a well-known remedy handed down for many generations.
- Cut some pieces of ginger and add it to the boiling water. Use this water to take steam, the ginger aroma will help you get relief from the nasal congestion.
Holy Basil or commonly known as Tulsi in India. It has great beneficial properties even mentioned in the Ayurveda. Its consumption helps warm your body from the inside.
- Simply chewing the basil leaf helps you get rid of nasal irritation and running nose. Chew 3-4 fresh basil leaf empty stomach in the morning.
- Another method is to make yourself a ‘Kaada’(an Indian beverage). Boil some water and some basil leafs, some ground cloves, 1 cardamom seed and some sugar or you can use jaggery. Let it boil for 10-12 min. Allow it to get cool. Drink twice a day.
Honey helps in relief from irritation and well known antibiotic and antiviral properties. Honey is easily available in your kitchen.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and 4-5 drops of fresh lemon in the warm water. Mix it properly. Drink while it is still warm and twice a day.
- Make a mixture of honey and cinnamon powder, add few drops of fresh lemon. Take this solution regularly.
- Eucalyptus Oil:
Eucalyptus oil is used as medication for cough syrups, it acts as decongestant and provide instant relief from nasal irritation.
- Boil some water, add 8-10 drops of eucalyptus oil and 4-6 drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil each. Inhale steam from this mixture. Repeat it 2-3 times a day.
- Another way is put few drops on your handkerchief, inhale regularly after sometime.
There are a lot of other home remedies which can be used to cure runny nose. I discuss those which are well known and widely used and their ingredients are easily available in most of the kitchens. Use any of the remedy which best suit you. If you don’t get any relief after several days, please consult a doctor and get a proper medical attention.