Human skin is one of the most delicate sense organs and due to various reasons it easily gets marked and has blemishes too disfigured a person looks. It not only spoils a person appearances but also makes them feel insecure. While many accept the changes of their skin and live with it, yet a majority of people do not know the various methods to reduce the marks and feel good themselves. Check out below some of the easy and home remedies that helps you to get rid of stretch marks and feel good.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are more commonly seen in women than men as they usually occur during pregnancy. But the marks can also be seen in men when there are changes in the body. Stretch marks appear on stomach, breasts, upper arms, thighs and buttocks. Stretch marks are the lines that appear on the skin which has a different color and texture than the normal skin. When we touch the marks, we might feel a slight depth into the skin or a kind of an indentation. Sometimes these stretch marks feels itchy especially in cold climates when the skin gets dry faster.
Symptoms and causes of stretch marks
Not all stretch marks look alike and they depend on how long you have had them and it also depends on the condition they have appeared. These lines are easily identified due to the variations in their color and appearances. The usual symptoms of stretch marks are,
- A depression or indentation lines on the skin which can be felt on touching
- Many pink, purple or red marks
- Bright lines that may fade into white or grayish marks over time
The causes of stretch marks depend on person to person. The marks appear when the skin stretches and the reasons vary depending on the conditions which needs an examination of health and personal history of a person. Increase in the cortisone hormone produced by the adrenal glands causes the stretch marks as these hormones weakens the elasticity of the skin.
Some of the main causes of the stretch marks are,
- Sudden weight gain – based on our height and sex humans have an ideal weight and due to various conditions, we tend to gain weight suddenly. Any such changes in the body makes the skin stretch to make space and sometimes the gain in the weight might be over the required amount. In such cases people usually get stretch marks.
- Pregnancy – Stretch marks are a common issue seen in pregnant women in the end of trimester due to the stretching of the body and weight gain. The changes in the hormonal levels is the major cause of these stretch marks.
- Medications – Certain medication that may increase the cortisone hormones causes stretch marks. Corticosteroid creams, lotions, or oral consumption of steroid medications are also one of the reasons.
- Underlying diseases – Some of the underlying diseases and syndromes such as adrenal glands disease, cushing syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome also causes stretch marks. Sometimes these line appears due to hereditary as well.
Remedies for Stretch Marks
Although these stretch marks is not a threatening problem, nevertheless they can still be upsetting for some. There are various home remedies to reduce the marks and some of them are beneficial and showed very good results. Here are a few such remedies to erase the stretch marks.
Aloe vera is known for its medicinal properties and is used for many health treatments and it has a very good effect on skin problems. Applying the aloe vera on the affected areas of stretch marks will help in reducing the marks prominent appearance and over a time it can also disappear.
Aloe vera is available in shops as a gel. The gel should be applied on the affected marks, leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water. Another way of applying the gel is to mix it with oil of vitamin E and vitamin A. Gently rub the mixture on the marks. Following this process every day will give best results.
Since ages castor oil is used for various medicinal purposes and it is known for its cooling and healing capacities. Applying castor oil to the stretch marks on a daily basis will help to cure the marks. To apply castor oil follow these below method.
- Apply the castor oil to the stretch marks, leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. Gently massage the area with the oil in a circular motion.
- Cover the area where the oil is applied with a thin cotton cloth and apply some heat with a hot bottle or a heating pad. Do this for at least half an hour daily to get best results.
We might have observed many beauty salons use lemon on faces while you go in for any face works to be done and this is because of the acidic properties of lemon helps in reducing the stretch marks.
Squeeze out all the juice out of a lemon and gently apply it on the marks. For better results mix cucumber juice with the lemon juice and apply it on the stretch marks.
The Sweet Sugar
Oral consumption of white sugar may not be as advisable, but applying the sugar on the stretch marks has great benefits.
Mix a spoonful of sugar along with the almond oil and lemon juice. Apply the mix on the stretch marks to get rid of them. Leave for 15 minutes and after a while, take a shower and rinse with lukewarm water.
Potatoes contains proteins and minerals that are very much essential for the skin. Squeeze out the juice of potato and gently apply on the stretch marks. Gently massage the area in a circular motion and rinse after a while. The starch content present in potatoes helps in curing the stretch marks. Make sure the marks can absorb all the starch present in the potato juice.
Photo credit: Flickr